Saturday 8 January 2011

Keith Richards: what a life!



I was surprised, but pleased, to read Boris Johnson's article suggesting that Keith Richards should receive the honour of a knighthood. "But he's rock 'n' roll", I hear you say.

His autobiography, "Life" (written with James Fox) may yet qualify as my book of the year (2010), partly because I have a fascination for biographies and autobiographies by and about good musicians. I could change my mind, as I'm only half way through, and Keith does reveal some attitudes and habits which are not so appealing or commendable. But the music, and those riffs!

To mention only a couple of "local"  anecdotes, the story of him and John Lennon completely "out of it" on a confused acid trip in and out of Lyme Regis (according to which fellow traveller claims to remember a half of what happened; pp 206-207) is not very uplifting. This, and revelations about similar episodes and adventures, although of very minor importance in the scheme of things (eg at Stonehenge, with Mick, Marianne and others; pp 249-250) may have damaged his chances, in spite of his enormous contribution to our personal and national cultural lives and to Britain's international influence.

I first saw The Rolling Stones perform live in Bournemouth in 1964. It was at the Gaumont in August 1964 (not the Winter Gardens in February 1964). I can't even remember the names of the two young ladies my friend and I took to see the show. It could have been the first, and the last time.
 

Rolling Stones in the USA, 1964, Around and around.

I shall read on. Concerning a knighthood, do you think Boris Johnson was right?

Update, 15 January: Finished the book! I found the answer on pages 534-555, when Keith discusses Mick Jagger's knighthood. Mick had phoned him to tell him that Tony Blair was insisting that he (Mick) should accept a knighthood. Keith's response: "You can turn down anything you like, pal". Keith comments further, "It was incomprehensible for Mick to do it; he'd blown his credibility...It's a demeaning thing to do. It's called the honours list, but we've been honoured enough...It may have been another attack of LVS".

LVS= Lead Vocalist Syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment