Friday 16 July 2010

Britten, Les Illuminations




I must have six or seven different recordings of Benjamin Britten's "Les Illuminations", based on Rimbaud's sequence or group of poems.

I started reading Rimbaud in Ethiopia. I even visited the house where he is said to have lived in Harar. It is the Abyssinian Rimbaud who interests me most.

Since then, I have found myself in other parts of the world with Rimbaud associations, Brussels, Stockholm, Soho in London, the Troodos mountains in Cyprus.

I don't claim to understand all of his poetry. I like the sound of it. Britten has selected and captured the essence. I always find the opening Fanfare thrilling and arresting:

"J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."

"I alone have the key to this savage parade".

The work was first performed in 1940 (two songs were performed in 1939). On the whole I prefer the recordings I have by sopranos rather than by tenors. It was originally written for Sophie Wyss.

La musique savante manque à notre désir.
Assez vu...Assez eu...Assez connu...Départ dans l’affection et le bruit neufs!


I can almost imagine Rimbaud declaiming these lines from "A Season in Hell" to the accompaniment of his Ethiopian harp:

"Ma journée est faite; je quitte l’Europe…les climats perdus me tanneront.Je reviendrai, avec des membres de fer, la peau sombre, l’oeil furieux: sur mon masque, on me jugera d’une race forte. J’aurai de l’or: je serai oisif et brutal. Les femmes soignent ces féroces infirmes retour des pays chauds. Je serai mêlé aux affaires politiques. Sauvé.
Maintenant je suis maudit, j’ai horreur de la patrie. Le meilleur, c’est un sommeil bien ivre, sur la grève".

Rimbaud's Poems, a selection in English translation by A.S.Kline;

http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/French/Rimbaud1.htm


Related:

Hans Krása, 3 Lieder for baritone, clarinet, viola and cello after Rimbaud


Sensation (A.Rimbaud)

Par les soirs bleus d'été, j'irai dans les sentiers,
Picoté par les blés, fouler l'herbe menue:
Réveur, j'en sentirai la fraîcheur mes pieds.
Je laisserai le vent baigner ma tète nue!

Je ne parlerai pas, je ne penserai rien:
Mais l'amour infïni me montera dans l'âme,
Et j'irai loin, bien loin, comme un bohémien
Par la Nature, -- heureux comme avec une femme.



Vzrušení

Za modrých večerů si vyjdu po pěšině,
lechtán obilím, se brouzdat svěží travou;
a zasněn ucítím, jak vítr na mýtině
mi bude kroužiti nad rozcuchanou hlavou!

Ni slova neřeknu a nepomyslím na nic.
Však budu míti duši lásce otevřenou.
Jak cikán půjdu dlouho, dlouho podél hranic,
v nesmírné Přírodě, šťasten s ní jako s ženou.








No comments:

Post a Comment