Wednesday 23 March 2011

Hugh Laurie sings the blues

Just watched the versatile Hugh Laurie singing the blues in New Orleans. His first ever blues gig, courtesy of  guardian.co.uk

I enjoyed "You don't know my mind" and his boogie piano playing on "The Old Folks Back Home".

Tim Jonze commented:

"Can a 51 year old from Oxfordshire possibly pull off music that was written by – and documented the hardships of – grizzled black men from the Deep South? It's certainly some stretch for the imagination. But then the House star is the first to admit that he could get shot down: “I was not born in Alabama in the 1890s. I've never eaten grits, cropped a share, or ridden a boxcar. I am a white, middle-class Englishman, openly trespassing on the music and myth of the American south … [but] I love this music as authentically as I know how.”

He did a pretty good job...for a grizzled Englishman.

No comments:

Post a Comment