Thursday 5 May 2011

Preaching the Blues

A pity Son House isn't with us any longer (he died in 1988). We could have invited him to be our guest at our Corfu gig (Church Summer Festival) next month.

I saw him perform live in London's 100 Club in 1970. Simply the most dramatic and moving blues performance I've ever seen. Never forgotten.

Here he is with Preaching the Blues in 1967.

Grinnin' in your face (live in London, 1970)

Another favourite was Mississippi Fred McDowell (died 1972; I saw him in a magnificent performance in Bristol, England, in 1969); here he is with "When I lay my burden down"
(that's an electric guitar version)

Some may prefer this acoustic guitar version

We finish with a sermon by Jimmy Smith (died 2005) on Hammond organ and with the majestic Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting by Charlie Mingus (died 1979).

No more to be said.

No comments:

Post a Comment