Monday 18 June 2012

Bob Dylan at Isle of Wight Festival, 1969 (I'm not there)

I'm rather glad I wasn't there...but a French film-maker's documentary footage is well worth watching.

Wikipedia, on the Isle of Wight Festival August 30-31, 1969.

I'm trying to remember why I wasn't there.

I had just started work, and I was getting married in the small Archbishopric's chapel (Evangelismou; the Annunciation) of the Greek Orthodox Church in London (the Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain). The original plan was for the ceremony to be held at the Monastery at Palaiokastritsa, Corfu, but I was required to start work immediately, teaching English to groups of Russians and Chinese VIPs.

With retrospective thanks to John Willis (film-maker, friend and TV executive, who stood in as o pateras) and Jimmie Katsaros (D. K. Toteras, o koumbaros mou- philosopher, playwright and flamenco guitarist).


Bob Dylan, Wedding Song lyrics.

Newport Folk Festival, 1965


3 comments:

  1. St Sophia in Bayswater Road - where some of my grand-nieces and nephews have been christened and where my Greek step-mother Maria's funeral service was held. http://democracystreet.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/yiannis-moralis-1975.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not in fact St Sophia, the Cathedral, but the Archbishop's Chapel, which is rather more intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The proper name of the Archbishop's Chapel is the Church of the Annunciation- Ἱερός Ναός Εὐαγγελισμοῦ, Παρεκκλήσιον Ἀρχιεπισκοπικοῦ Μεγάρου. Ταχ. διεύθυνσις: 5 Craven Hill, London W2 3EN.

    ReplyDelete