Friday 20 July 2012

For Democracy Street

In case you missed it last time I posted this quotation from Roy Fuller's poem "To a Friend Leaving for Greece", here's the last stanza again:

"You visit a country where the unclean being
Who brought disaster has already been expelled,
And far back in its history the gloomy date:
'Twenty-eighth year of the War. Blockade of Athens'.
Will you return with hopeful messages
For the new victims of the Theban king
And of the destroyers of democracy?"

It was written at the time of the Junta.

I don't know why I think of it again now, after I have returned from the "burgundy seas, white harbours, empty skies". It happened that I came across a photocopy of the poem as I was tidying my papers.

***

Tsipras predicts default (Athens News)





No comments:

Post a Comment