Friday 28 December 2012

Ethiopian Cooking, Restaurants in Washington DC


The good thing about being in Washington DC is the opportunity to eat out at Ethiopian restaurants (and to exchange a few words of Amharic with a taxi-driver). One driver was glad to hear about my documentary film on Ethiopia, and the scenes of Ethiopian Christmas at Lalibela (January 6th).

I see the Rastafari Fellowship has reposted my film on YouTube (worse copy), without a credit to me. I'm happy that it's being viewed by Ethiopians and Rastas, after all these years. About the Rastafari Fellowship:

"Call to all RASTAFARI! Support the Lion of Judah Society! Let Jah Will be done! That the Name of Our God and Father One Haile Selassie be glorified in and through Iyesus Kristos!"

ያባታችን ሆይ ጸሎት

አባታችን ሆይ:በሰማይ፡የምትኖር፤ስምህ፡ይቀደስ፡መንግሥትህ፡ትምጣ።ፈቀድህ፡በሰማይ፡እንደሆነች:እንዲሁ፡በምድር­፡ትሁን።የዕለት፡እንጀራችንን፡ስጠን፡ዛሬ።በደላችንንም፡ይቅር፡በለን%እኛ፡የበደሉንን፡ይቅር፡እንደምን­ል።ወደፈተናም፡አታግባን፤ከክፉ፡አድነን፡እንጂ።መንግሥት፡ያንተ፡ናትና።ኃይልም፡ምስጋናም፡ለዘለዐለሙ።­አሜን።

Most of the Ethiopian restaurants in DC are in Adams-Morgan or on 9th and U Streets.

Huffington Post article

Injera with doro wat tastes great, but the berbere and spices can prove challenging. In my nostalgic enthusiasm I had forgotten.

In future I'll stick to Ethiopian (and Eritrean) music.


Ethiopian Culture and Folk Art

Meanwhile, Nina-Maria reports on US troop deployments in Africa for China Central TV, go to the 15 minute mark to watch

2 comments:

  1. i am looking for information on cat stevens visit to ethiopia circa 1970s am writing history of unicef in ethiopia. do you have any more information? photos etc? many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember meeting Cat Stevens at a UNICEF reception in Addis Ababa and we talked about Bob Dylan! I was in Addis from 1971. Not sure I have any cuttings or more information. Jim

    ReplyDelete