Saturday 2 March 2013

The Death Valley Escape Trail (Hiking History)


Trailer for a documentary about Death Valley, a film by Elijah Collard. DVD available July 2013.

I'm looking forward to seeing the film, which features a sound recording I made many years ago.

Elijah Collard premiered his documentary "Hiking History: The Death Valley Escape Trail" on Saturday, February 9th, 2013 in Panamint Springs, CA.

Elijah's father, Leonard Collard, (with the help of others) erected the Death Valley Escape Trail (ET) signs along with the Rogers Pass, Fish Canyon, Silent Seplechre, and Father Fish Death site signs. In 1992 they hiked (with a film crew) the first 60 miles of the trail from Bennett's Well (DV) to Indian Joe Springs (Trona). It has taken him over 20 years to complete the documentary, but it is now finished.

Highlights of the Documentary include:
Narrator: Gene Evans - 3 time Emmy Nominee
Hikers interviewed include: LeRoy and Jean Johnson, Leonard Collard
Interviews: John Southworth, Ed Rothfuss (former Supt. of DVNP) and many more.
Music: John Lee Hooker

Older news, also found on the web:

From Elijah Collard (son of Rev. Leonard Collard, a founding member):

I am Elijah Leon Collard and my brother is Aaron who lives in Bakersifield. My wife and I live just outside of Nashville TN. Dad and I hiked out of Death Valley to Trona about 10 years ago with a video crew (Documentary is still not finished). It is not like me to leave projects unfinished and I really need to get that one done. Dad died in a motorcycle accident in the Yukon Territory on his way to Alaska just 3 months after we climbed out of Death Valley. The Rogers pass marker (up from Ballaratt) was his last. If you notice the unique style you will also remember that the Ballaratt turn off sign on the highway is his work too. Quite a man. 

I am Elijah Collard and I live in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. A friend pointed me to your Death Valley pages, and in your Fish Canyon Trip you came upon the Death Valley Escape Trail Conference signs. The Conference was a dream of my father's (Leonard Collard) who thought the trail used by the Bennett and Arcane families to escape the then unnamed valley in 1849-50 should be marked for hiking and for historical value. He started in the 80's......the Fish Canyon markers were his first....the Rogers Pass marker up Pleasant Canyon from Ballerat was his last....and yes the Ballarat turn off sign was his as well. Circuit Rider did not only describe the touring judges, but preachers as well, and that is how he got the name.....he was a preacher and a pipefitter and a fine man. More reading on the Escape trail can be found in "Death Valley in '49" By William Lewis Manley or more recent work by Leroy Johnson, "Escape from Death Valley". Three months before dad died we hiked out of DV with a Video Crew.....yet sadly I have not finished the documentary.....still working on it....and still alive so maybe someday soon. By the way......all the markers have a fresh coat of paint due to recent 4x4 trips of me, my nephew Bill Ahrens and my Uncle Kenny Collard.

More from Elijah about the film on the Death Valley Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment