Thursday 13 August 2015

Eden Philpotts, West Country Author (1862-1960); Dartmoor



A West-Country writer (novelist, playwright and poet), no longer fashionable.

From UP-ALONG  AND DOWN-ALONG, EDEN PHILLPOTTS (1905)


WHERE MY TREASURE IS

ETERNAL Mother, when my race is run,
Will that I pass beneath the risen sun.
Suffer my sight to dim upon some spot
That changes not.

Let my last pillow be the land I love
With fair infinity of blue above;
The roaming shadow of a silver cloud
My only shroud.

A little lark above the morning star,
Shall shrill the tidings of my end afar;
The muffled music of a lone sheep-bell
Shall be my knell.

And where stone heroes trod the Moor of old;
Where ancient wolf howled round a granite fold;
Hide Thou, beneath the heather's new-born light,
My endless night.

*****

A Shadow Passes (1918)

A West Country Pilgrimage (1920) (Illustrations A. T. Benthall)

A Dish of Apples   (1921) (Illustrations Arthur Rackham) 





Wikipedia entry

Eden Philpotts was much admired (like Thomas Hardy) by Douglas Macmillan of Castle Cary
(see last three verses):








No comments:

Post a Comment