Wednesday 23 March 2016

William Golding: Cornish Home



According to one source, Sir William Golding was born on September 19, 1911, Saint Columb Minor (near Newquay), Cornwall.

The BBC gives more detail: "William Golding was born in his grandmother's house at 47 Mountwise (Mount Wise), Newquay, Cornwall in 1911".

William Golding's former home, Tullimaar House in Perranarworthal, Cornwall

A letter, soon after the author received the Nobel Prize for Literature:

Nobel Lecture

Nobel Banquet Speech

An extract from 'My First Book' (William Golding, A Moving Target, 1982):

"I wanted to go back to Cornwall and the sea but was in Wiltshire.. While walking on the Marlborough Downs...I saw what was rare in those days, a seagull come swooping down along the wind. I was fourteen or thereabouts, With the sight there rose in my mind as an automatic expression of what I felt, the following rhymes...

Across the sunlit downs the west wind sings
   Its ocean melodies. I stand and see
You wheel the white flash of your long, swift wings
   And for this moment being I am free:
As one who holds a shell against his ear
   And listens rapt until the sullen roar
Seems in his soul to echo faint and clear
  The slow surf-murmur of a distant shore."





No comments:

Post a Comment