Monday 31 October 2016

Union Station, Supreme Court: Other DC Images Today







From the Prologue to The Sellout, by Paul Beatty: "...here I am, in the cavernous chambers of the Supreme Court of the United States of America, my car illegally and somewhat ironically parked on Constitution Avenue, my hands cuffed behind my back, my right to remain silent long since waived and said goodbye to as I sit in a thickly padded chair that, much like this country, isn't quite as comfortable as it looks...   Washington, D.C., with its wide streets, confounding roundabouts , marble statues, Doric columns, and domes, is supposed to feel like ancient Rome (that is, if the streets of ancient Rome were lined with homeless black people, bomb-sniffing dogs, tour buses, and cherry blossoms)."

 





No comments:

Post a Comment