Saturday 8 July 2017

Greece: Edible Wild Greens - Τα χόρτα



I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan, but I can't get enough of wild greens (horta) when in Greece.


From Diane Kochilas, Greek Food for Life: Glossary of Edible Wild Greens

From The Greek Vegan - Dandelion Greens / Radikia

Foraging for Wild Greens (YouTube)


I'm particularly fond of dandelion leaves, nettles, purslane (pig-weed/glistridha/adrachni), vlita (amaranth), chicory (endive/ salad plant, pikralida/πικραλίδα) and wild asparagus, although I seldom recognise what kind of leaves or horta I am given to eat (especially inside a pie); provided they are green, boiled and served with olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar, I'm a happy man.

Delicious and nutritious!

For a refreshing drink, there is nothing better than Greek mountain tea.


















No comments:

Post a Comment